Friday, September 20, 2013

Reluctantly Skinny

Most people adhere to the code that it is very impolite for one to comment on a person's weight. But this would normally be referred to comments being made to people who are overweight. It would be deemed very cruel, discriminatory and inhumane to make a person feel that their excess weight is not an acceptable standard of aesthetic appearance a person who is deemed normal be perceived.

However, this is not an article of that sort. On the flip side, this is an article about common people who generally thinks that it is OK, acceptable, funny or some may think that their being nice and kind by commenting or trying to be blunt to an underweight person about their ermmm... lack of weight. The common people that I am referring to here is normally random person, person that you have never met before, person that you hardly know, person that don't know you, that don't care about you, people who is deemed a STRANGER. Yes, this type of person.

No, I am not trying to whine and complain about my weight here as I have learn to accept the fact that I have always been underweight since I can remember. It has never been a problem to me and I am quite happy and feel blessed as I know some people who are struggling with weight is having a really hard time trying to keep fit and keep their weight in control to avoid any diseases or health issues which is related to overweight.

Having said that, my main point in writing this article is that I an frowning upon people who freely give their unwarranted comments on one's lack of weight by saying such as "you will look prettier if you put on a few kilos" or "you must eat more, as you don't look good being skinny"etc. Commenting or I even dare call it criticising a person underweight-ness is as cruel as discriminatory and as unacceptable as doing the same to an overweight person. It is bad enough that being underweight has always been associated with overzealous dieting and exercising, self destructing, refusing good food, vain, selfish and all the other negative connotations that come along with it, people assume that all skinny people do this willingly. The fact is that, some people are just born skinny and have high metabolism which make their body process all the fat intake quickly than some other people.

This is just the reality of life that some people are skinny and some are overweight. I advocate that each one of us appreciate our own body shapes, sizes and weights and just concentrate on maintaining a healthy lifestyle instead of trying to be some one that we are not meant to be.

Yes, everyone has their own vision of a perfect body and the media is not helping by parading the blessed supermodels with the perfect face, body and skin as the ultimate beauty hence the ultimate goal that everyone must wish to replicate and dream for. I wish that all of us can digress from all that superficial portrayal of beauty. As I believe that everyone is beautiful in their own way no matter how much one weighs.

And I also advocate that if you have nothing good to say, you better say nothing at all.

Happy Friday everyone. When you feel content on the inside, your beauty will transcend in the outside. And yes, I will eat a bar of chocolate after this. :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment