Thursday, October 17, 2013

Why do I take MBA

Coming from a legal background, people keep asking me why do I take MBA?

My answer to the question differs everytime not because that I am clueless in living my life or that I have so much time that I just needed something to do to fill the glaring lacuna; but mainly because it depends on my mood at the time when the question was asked.

The main objective or main goal or main reason or you can say the crux of my intention in taking this course is simple; I want to gain more knowledge and enhance myself.

Once the main objective has been established, people rarely stop there, they will normally proceed to ask these questions below (or sometimes even more questions):

1) Why MBA and not LLM as it is quite a normal progression from LLB?
2) Will the MBA guarantees me a hefty pay raise and a promotion?
3) Why do I sacrifice my time, family in pursuing this course?

Again my answer will depend on my mood when the questions were asked.

But generally for question number one, I just feel that at this point in time in my life, I want to have an MBA and NO, I don't have any other brilliant reply apart from I just feel that way. Or when I really am not in the mood I will just answer, "I don't know"... hehehe

For question number 2, my answer will always be NO. Not wanting to sound geek-ish or nerd-ish but I really like studying new things for self development, always wanting to learn new language(s), new set of skills etc etc. After researching for courses from the internet, MBA seems to fit the bill to quench my thirst for general knowledge as the syllabus covers almost every aspect of running a corporation. I am quite certain that MBA will be able to fill what I needed to know, for now. After completing one semester of it, I have no doubt that this is what I need, now. Who knows, I may also consider to pursue LLM or even PhD after completing this course. Que sera, sera.

For question number 3, whether you agree or disagree or agree to disagree, most things in life doesn't come to you easily without some sort of challenges and sacrifices that need to be made along the way. This goes to taking MBA and my guess is, as well as other courses or any other challenges in life. I know that I need to make a lot of sacrifices and I do feel blessed that my husband is supportive of my dreams and because of that I know that this is something that I must do passionately and not take things for granted. In other words, I better work my butt's off for the exam!

Nonetheless, despite the solid support system that I have been receiving (ie. hubby), there are still one or two people out there who still think that if it doesn't have a guaranteed return of investment (ROI) then why do I even bother. Not to mention having a two-year old who needs attention plus a husband, a full time job, house chores, family commitments etc etc etc. For some, to my disappointment, I was deemed a selfish person. Yes, this sometimes make me feel down and alone when my initial bona fide intentions were misconstrued. However, as mentioned by some supportive friends out there; this is all a mind game. Challenges come in many forms. Therefore, whenever I am in doubt, I will always do a simple self psychoanalysis to convince myself that furthering studies not only in doing MBA, but in almost all disciplines will always have its advantages if your intention is pure. The more challenges you face, the sweeter the success will be.

I am not sure whether my boss will ever give me any increment or promotion that seem to be the measurement of a good ROI upon getting the MBA, but I do believe that at the very least I will be more knowledgeable today than I did before. Hey, I can even use ROI in my normal conversation now, see, I do know slightly more today. And for me, that is good enough, anything more than that is deemed as a bonus.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment